Saturday, March 5, 2016

A Glance Back

Re-visited Rome and Venice after 17 years.
Though I visited Naples and Amalfi Coast several years ago.
My main purpose this time was Venice Carnival.
Then to visit Vatican City, which I missed to visit 17 years ago due to short pants (I brought only short pants that time since I was backpacking Europe during summer time).
Then also to visit another micro country in Italy, San Marino, conveniently located between Rome and Venice, via the hub city, Rimini, which itself is a tourist city for the Roman ruins, worth a visit.

Venice Carnival, the highlight of my trip this time, was not disappointing.
A lot of events programmed over around one month, I only got the taste of one weekend, 30-31 January 2016, where the main programme was the festival of the 12 Maries, when 12 pretty young girls are paraded.
However, the most interesting part for me was watching the street costumes.
People around the world came with gorgeous costumes and masks, being kindly posed for other visitors to photograph them, some people brought their own photographers.
Venice was cold that time, but hot at the same time, due to the crowds and the enthusiasm of the festival.

San Marino, the unique micro state, famous for its old city capital on top of Mount Titano.
It worth a day trip for the spectacular views from 2 of its 3 towers.

Rome, including the Vatican City, is a museum city.
Everywhere in the city there are masterpieces of the old times.

Below are my best 3 from my trip this time:
1. Watching street costumes at the Carnival of Venice
2. The views from the towers of San Marino
3. Rome walking tour, admiring masterpieces of the old times

No comments:

Post a Comment